Remove this ad

#81 [url]

May 7 12 5:37 AM

The Impetus tournament has come and gone once more.  Is it too early to think ahead to next year??  For those who participated, give some general feed back on what you liked or didn't like about this tournament.  And throw some feelings about what you would like to see in next year's event.  Full rules?  Basic rules?  Basic with a few "house" rules thrown in?   Point values if we do full?  

If you did not participate and thought about it, what would push you over the edge and commit to it?  

Ken

Have brush, will travel.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#83 [url]

May 14 12 2:33 PM

Ken - here are my thoughts for next year in no particular order.

1.  We have played basic Impetus two years in a row and I think that we should upgrade to the full rules for next year.

2.  Because you want to run a number of battles I would suggest a 300 point starter army.

3.  We should also plan to run an Impetus game at the convention to give more people a chance to try the rules.  It would be great if we could get about ten people to commit to the tournament.

4.  We might want to think about a little marketing??

5.  Keep the lists to the classical period so that we can use the troops from Sabis for those who want to play, but do not have any ancients of their own.

6.  What happened to our friends from New Hampshire who were there last year?

7.  The guys who came up from Maryland were playing Impetus with 6mm figs.  If they come next year we should get a note out to them earlier and have them play with the big boys.

8.  Next year we should get four or five people to commit to bringing one game table set-up.

9.  I liked how we rotated winners and losers this year to give everyone a shot at victory.  Is there some formula for this we could publish earlier?

10.  We should run some Impetus games at the summer and fall game days to give people a chance to try out the rules and recruit some new players

Time to paint some more Macedonians.

In conclusion I note that you did not mention that your cowardly Persians spent the entire day trying to avoid coming to grips with Alexander.  We cut our way through three different armies to get our hands on you only to have you whine and go "out of time - sorry".  Next year dog!

Quote    Reply   

#84 [url]

May 15 12 8:39 AM

1.  We have played basic Impetus two years in a row and I think that we should upgrade to the full rules for next year.
I am good with either set but the full set does give a better game and, in my opinion, really doesn't take much longer to play.  New comers can still download and read the basic set to get the basic mechanics of the game.  

2.  Because you want to run a number of battles I would suggest a 300 point starter army.
300 points is good.  Time limits and army availabilities make this a good point level.

3.  We should also plan to run an Impetus game at the convention to give more people a chance to try the rules.  It would be great if we could get about ten people to commit to the tournament.
My goal would be 12 people but that may be pushing it.  10 would still be great.  I am up for a larger convention game.  I can still expand the Persians.  I had planned to do so anyway.

4.  We might want to think about a little marketing??
I agree.  The continued convention success certainly helps as well.

5.  Keep the lists to the classical period so that we can use the troops from Sabis for those who want to play, but do not have any ancients of their own.
This year the "latest" army anybody used was an Imperial Roman?  I believe list allowed was up to the dark ages?  Regardless, let's say biblical lists all the way up to the fall of Rome?  Would you think that too broad a time frame?

6.  What happened to our friends from New Hampshire who were there last year?
I tried to get a hold of them, although not very persistently.  They had their own club call the Red Stick Slashers.  I will put some feelers out to their area and see if they are still around. 

7.  The guys who came up from Maryland were playing Impetus with 6mm figs.  If they come next year we should get a note out to them earlier and have them play with the big boys.
I will make a contact with them. 

8.  Next year we should get four or five people to commit to bringing one game table set-up.
Always good to have people bring items to help.  Do they get a "home field" advantage if they bring their own table set up? 

9.  I liked how we rotated winners and losers this year to give everyone a shot at victory.  Is there some formula for this we could publish earlier?
Honestly, I don't know tournament formulas too well.  I can research this.  The tournaments we've had have been very informal.  Maybe, if I can round up something cool for prizes, we can make our rankings more "official".

10.  We should run some Impetus games at the summer and fall game days to give people a chance to try out the rules and recruit some new players
Indeed.  First up is the flea market, is it not?  What say you, Macedonian!  Are you ready to feel the wrath of Persia??  Full Impetus, 300 points!!

Time to paint some more Macedonians. 
And Persians.  Anybody have, say, about 24 classical Greek hoplites they want to part with? 

In conclusion I note that you did not mention that your cowardly Persians spent the entire day trying to avoid coming to grips with Alexander.  We cut our way through three different armies to get our hands on you only to have you whine and go "out of time - sorry".  Next year dog!
I slap you across your heavily made up cheek, Macedonian man child!

-jimflanagan

Have brush, will travel.

Quote    Reply   

#85 [url]

May 15 12 11:44 AM

10.  We should run some Impetus games at the summer and fall game days to give people a chance to try out the rules and recruit some new playersIndeed.  First up is the flea market, is it not?  What say you, Macedonian!  Are you ready to feel the wrath of Persia??  Full Impetus, 300 points!!

You should make it interesting, like marbles on the playground.  Winner gets to keep the loser's army!

Quote    Reply   

#86 [url]

May 15 12 3:58 PM

I might could also get a couple stands of Macedonian pikes and Hypaspists painted by then. I've got the minis just sitting there, just begging to be primed and painted.......

It depends upon the schedule. I'm closing on a house and moving next month, so things'll be up in the air a might for the next month or so.

What can I say? It all comes down to a roll of the dice.

Quote    Reply   

tinman

superstar

#87 [url]

May 15 12 5:53 PM

Is a 300 point army in Basic Impetus the same in the regular rules?

Mike

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#88 [url]

May 15 12 7:41 PM

Basic Impetus does not deal in points.  They provide you an army list of from 7-9 units.  The 300 points in the regular rules allows a little more flexibility, although you still have standard units you must field.

Quote    Reply   

#90 [url]

May 16 12 9:38 AM

Dean,

I doubt my Persians would be able to live in the same house as Jim's Macedonians.  They would fight too much.  All miniatures come to life at night and fight, right????  However, I do like marbles and may see how I can incorporate marbles into some sort of scoring system.....

Mike,
300 points may or may not be close to a basic Impetus army.  It depends on which army.  If you have a specific army in mind let me know and I will see if I can provide a list of options for you.  Of course, how you spend your 300 points to make your army is entirely up to you.  Also, points are spent on a command system and for up to 3 re-rolls.  As Jim said, you do have minimums on certain troop types in whatever army you choose.  

Tim,
I hope you don't feel I am trying to usurp the tournament away from you.  I appreciate all the work you put into the event this year (the terrain boards were especially cool).  I just feel the tournament has been a collaborative effort thus far and I would like to put more of an effort into generating more interest for not only our event but Huzzah in general.  Good luck with the house and the move.  Personally, I hate moving and don't want to do it again for a long time.  

Chris,
An early commitment.  I like that :)   I don't know if you will be providing your own army or not but I plan on having a couple of loaners ready to go.  And there are always Romans and barbarians from Sabis.  

Ken

Have brush, will travel.

Quote    Reply   

#91 [url]

May 22 12 11:10 AM

Ken,

If you'd like to take charge, I will be happy to support you in any way. I also want to see this get built up, and I really think that one way to do this is to maybe move the tourney to saturday rather than friday.  That, of course, means more room needed, so I don't have another answer.

of course, perhaps dropping the tourney altogether and going for a larger multi=player game might be an answer?

It seems to me that we could easily do a large scale battle around one of Caesar's campaigns, or even Boudica's Revolt. Though later, we certainly have sufficient Celts to use, and between the Caesarian Romans and mine (and other) EIR Romans we can field some good legions too.

I'd certainly be more inclined towards a multi-player Impetus game than in a tournament, but whatever the folks feel best, I'll support it in whatever manner they so choose.

V/R

Quote    Reply   

#92 [url]

May 28 12 10:11 AM

It may sound a bit counter productive but I kind of like having the tournament on Friday.  It's the kick off event for Huzzah and it helps make Huzzah a "fuller" convention.  Besides, it gives me an excuse to take Friday off every year.  :)  Saturday would, no doubt, bring in a few more participants but there just isn't the room.  

I am all up for doing a larger, multi-player game.  Roman vs Barbarians is certainly doable.  Jim and I talked about doing an Alexander vs. Persians at one time as well.  

So here is my tournament take as of now.  

300 point full Impetus.  Fall of Rome or earlier armies allowed.  Published lists or approved beta lists allowed.  If you need a list just let me know and I will dig it up for you.  Don't forget that rolls of destiny and generals and command structures go towards your point totals.   Scoring as per the scoring sheet on the website.  We need scoring because I plan on putting together awards and/or prizes for those who do well.  (or maybe even not so well)  My plan is to play but only if we have an odd number of participants.  Tables, and terrain will be set as we've done in previous years.  I will definitely need someone to help with tables and terrain as I am sorely lacking in this area.  The tournament is for 25/28mm figures but other sizes will be usable as long as base sizes are consistent with 25/28mm size recommendations.  Number of players allowed is open at the moment.  

So get busy building your army.  My hope is to make this a fun, light hearted tournament.  I have many ideas cooking about this and once a Huzzah 2013 board is started I will put a tournament topic there.

Ken  

Have brush, will travel.

Quote    Reply   

#93 [url]

May 28 12 6:52 PM

Sounds fine by me!

And it means that I can plan out a new Army (or keep expanding an old one) and have 9 months to see it get up and running. 

And if  you'd like to do a multi-player large game I'm more than willing to paint up  some stands to flesh out Macedonians and/or Persians. I have enough minis for maybe 4 stands of phalangites and 2 of hypaspists.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help